Friday, November 10, 2006

Arrowhead Ultra 2007 I'm already getting excited for the Arrowhead 135 in February. Last year's DNF is a real motivator to get training this winter. Looks like there is going to be quite a few more runners this year. Still 14 spots left for anyone that wants to do a great race to start off the 2007 season. I was doing some research on vapor barriers for winter riding. Looks like a bunch of the top guys in the Alaska races use them with great success. RBH designs looks to be the top choice, but might be kind of spendy. There are some great stories in the expeditions section of their website. Stephenson's Warmlite is another company that looks good, and their prices are cheaper. There's a good section on how vapor barriers work. Lots of nude camping going on with that company. Check out the PDF version of their catalog. Very funny stuff. I think I'm going to order some socks and see how they work once it cools down here. Looks like you guys futher east and south got some snow to play in. Lets see some pictures of bikes in the snow : ) That's all for today. Have a good weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
Interesting stuff, though the stephenson stuff did mention using bread bags as a legit 2 to 3 day usefulness for feet. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Makes me wonder what just using saran wrap around your toes for days with temps between 0 and 15 would do.

Brian said...

Sometimes I think you are crazy for doing that Arrowhead race...and other times I think it would be really fun.

Either way, I want a Pugsley.

Brian said...

I just noticed that your profile lists you as being from Kazakhstan. Nice touch, Vino.

:)

Chris said...

VB stuff works but using it on top in warm weather will probably suck. Sleeping, feet, hands and legs work better above "bitter cold" temps. Definitely experiment. You can make yourself some stuff real easy if you can sew or look around for silnylon VB items, a lot cheaper than the expensive stuff.

Simmons said...

Hey Chris - where do you get the fabric to make your own? I can't sew, but my future mother in-law can.

Chris said...

Checkout:
http://www.owareusa.com/
http://www.thru-hiker.com/

They've got silnylon and cuben. Silnylon is much cheaper, heavier and more durable. Cuben is the ultralighters dream but pretty spendy. I'd say get a basic pattern and have your future MIL sew you some vb pants, shirt, booties and lobster liners. Remember you need a base layer liner underneath but no insulation under the VB. BTW I just got a Pugs and am thinking of arrowhead in 2008.

Chris

Scotty J said...

I do not really know you but you are a crazy man, and because Brian loves you I guess I should too. But I unlike Brian am going to love you in a "healty" Brown Bear kindof way.

Simmons said...

Thanks Scotty J. Always good to get some healthy "Brown Bear" love. Right back at ya. I'm jealous of where you live. I would love to live out west. Are you going to be the downhiller for Team Brown Bear? Congratulations on the engagement by the way.

Later

Scotty J said...

Sure me and my buddy will downhill for Team Brown Bear. Also if you get me a Team Brown Bear Speedo I will be teh Team Brown Bear swimmer!!